This one also comes from our friend Stephanie. Not sure of the original source — please pass it along if you know it!
Green Soup: The Original
* 1 bunch chard or spinach, (8 oz)
* 1 bunch kale, (8 oz)
* 4-5 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
* 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro
* 1 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
* 1 medium Yukon Gold potato (5 oz)
* 1 medium yellow onion
* 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
* Marsala or dry sherry (optional)
* 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 2 1/2-3 cups any basic vegetable broth or canned vegetable broth
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
* Fruity green olive oil
* Crumbled fresh white cheese
I have an overflow of kale (or most greens) in my garden as I uhm … have like 45 sq ft of greens (kale, spinach, chard) for 2 people. I’ve made kale and potato soup, sauteed greens (olive oil, chili peppers, garlic) over polenta or grits with a fried egg and parmesan, polenta quiche-style with chard and mushrooms and gruyere, 5 minute greens (slice into thin strips — just pile up leaves, roll ‘em and cut them into thin strips from top to bottom — works for collards too!), heat olive oil, chili pepper, garlic, and then add the greens — they will cook in 5 minutes. Really.
I have my eye on this roasted pumpkin and creamed kale lasagna as a weekend project.